Want to learn more about SJG? Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about music lessons. Please note distinctions between online, private and group lesson offerings.
If you have a question not included in our FAQs, please contact us so that we can provide you with the information you need.
At what age should my child start taking music lessons?
The best age for a student to begin taking lessons is at around 6 years old. Younger students sometimes do not have the motor skills or physical size to handle an instrument.
Do you sell or rent music instruments?
No. But we can provide you with a list of recommended retailers and online sellers.
When will I/my child be able to play music proficiently?
Each student develops at a different rate of proficiency. Improvement in playing is dependent upon one’s natural musical ability, disciplined practice, and passion to learn. Yet, if one is committed to learn and practices regularly, you should see a noticeable improvement over time.
How much do lessons cost?
- Private Lessons range from $160-$180 for four (4) half-hour instrumental lessons per month. Each instructor sets their own rates.
- Group Lessons cost $225 for a 8-week session. See class listings for specific costs per class.
- Online Lessons cost $160 – $180 (4) half-hour instrumental lessons per month.
What is your policy on missed music lessons?
- Private Lessons and Online Lessons: Cancellations with a 24 hour notice will receive a make-up lesson. If a convenient time is not available for a private make-up lessons, an online lesson will be provided. There will be no more than one credit given per month. Same day cancellations receive no credit or make-up lesson.
- Group Lessons: Make up lessons are provided only if the instructor needs to cancel a class.
Do you offer music recitals?
We offer 2 recitals per year and also offer various performance opportunities at festivals, bookstores and community events.
What kinds of music styles can I learn to play?
SJG School of Music specializes in Pop, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Country and Blues musical styles.
Can we meet the music teacher before we enroll?
Yes. We offer a free consultation lesson with the teacher with no obligation to enroll.